Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter Take 2

I have finished the last book in the Harry Potter series. I can't believe that I am so sad about it. I am not sad about the ending, I am sad because its over. I will never again be able to read another one of Harry's adventures. I feel like part of me has died. I never expected to feel like this. I know it sounds crazy, but these books have been apart of my life for years. Reading them has helped me escape.

All in all, I was happy with the way the series ended. I loved the book. I thought it was beautifully written and well organized. As far as my predictions go...

1.) Harry will live. Ron and Hermione will also live.---- Thankfully I was right!! They all lived and it was such a happy ending with Harry marrying Ginny and Ron and Hermione happy and together.

2.) Harry will kill Lord Voldemort. ----I was half right about this. Lord Voldemort actually killed himself with a backfired killing curse. What a cool way to end it!! That way, Harry never used a killing curse.

3.) Peter Pettigrew will redeem himself somehow. Although I think that he will die doing this.----I was completely right about this!!

4.) Snape is good. I know, I never thought that I would say that! But I think that Dumbledore and Snape had an agreement and Snape was to kill Dumbledore if provoked so that Snape could remain in Lord Voldemort's good graces. However, Snape will meet his end in the book.----I was right!!! I loved the backstory between Snape and Lily. What a beautiful scene. One of my favorite parts of the book was when Snape asked Harry to look at him as he was dying so that he could see Lily's eyes one last time. I cried!!

5.) Dumbledore and will reappear and continue to help Harry. This could be through is portrait or more scenes in the Pensieve.----I was technically right! Dumbledore was present throughout the entire book in one way or another!

6.) Members of the order will die. I have a sinking feeling that Hagrid and some of the Weasley family will not survive.---I was half right! Hagrid lived!!! I was really sad when Fred died though. I was also kind of upset that both Lupin and Tonks died and left Teddy alone. That made me sad. It hit me hard when Dobby died. I wasn't expecting that at all.

7.) Horcruxes: the diary, the ring, the locket at Grimmauld Place, Nagini the snake, Hufflepuff's cup, Gryffindor's sword.----The actual Horcruxes: the diary, the ring, the locket, Nagini, Hufflepuff's cup, Ravenclaw's diadem, and Harry himself. What a genius idea to use Harry himself. Excellent twist!

The only complaint I have is that I would have liked a better wrap up of everyone's lives. I am curious about what happened to the rest of the Weasleys and the Order. I would have loved another chapter between the last one and the epilogue.

And so, dear Harry, I shall love you always and revisit you often....

1 comment:

KathleenSBass said...

Mandie....I JUST finished the last page and am having mixed emotions, too! I liked the ending a lot, but would have LOVED it if she had given more info about the rest of the Weasleys and the Order. I loved McGonagal's part in the fight...I can totally picture her in the movie.

I am impressed with your predictions and accuracy! I hope Nathan grows up to love reading and adventure stories as much as his mommy!!