Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mommying is my career...

Being a stay-at-home mother (SAHM) has its ups and downs. Like anything in this world, there are positives and negatives. Thankfully, in my experience there are more good times than bad. But, it really doesn't dawn on me just how little people think that I do, until I see someone I know around town.

The conversation usually goes like this:
Me: Hey! It is great to see you! Been a long time. How are you?
Well meaning-long-lost friend: Great! How are you? What are you up to now?
Me: I am a mom! This is my great son, Nathan. I stay at home with him.
Well-meaning-long-lost friend: Really??!! (Insert shocked expression here). Oh...ok. What else are you doing?
Me: Well I am also a nurse, but now I am a mama. It is the greatest job in the world. I just love staying at home with my sweet boy.
Well-meaning-long-lost friend: Oh, you are a nurse?! That's so cool. What kind of nurse?
Me: Well, like I said I am a stay-at-home mom now. So...
Well-meaning-long-lost friend: Oh, well when are you going back to work?

I know they are seemingly innocent questions. I understand that sometimes people are just so curious. And I get that. But, if someone looks at me with that look of shock and asks when I plan to go back to work one more time, I will go crazy. Sometimes it hits me, people really have no idea that what I do, is work! I do more in one day now, than I ever did before I was a mom.

So for the record, I am a mom. Mommying is my career now. I am very happy with my choice. It is the right thing for me and Nathan. I do not plan to return to the workplace anytime soon. This is really what I was meant to do.

Note: None of my faithful blog readers actually do this. :) This is simply my way of venting my frustrations so that when well-meaning-long-lost friend #4578390 comes along, I won't bite their head off.

P.S. Goodbye August...

3 comments:

April said...

Amen sweetie! Mommying is a wonderful career and the most rewarding.

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I second that Amen! I can't wait to "start my career" so to speak (expecting #1). One of my favorite quotes is something like "No success can compensate for failure in the home." And I think you're dead on about how moms do way more in a day than anyone does in a "regular job."

Erinn said...

Ah yes. I get this ALLLL the time. So annoying. Most working people couldn't keep up with our lives!!