To share this.
Before we had Nathan, I didn't research circumcision at all. DH is circ'd and we just agreed to do it. At the time, I thought it was "just what you did". After the birth, I was having second thoughts. I just had this feeling at the pit of my belly telling me "don't do it." My mama instincts were trying to tell me something and I didn't listen. So they did it and I felt awful. Crying hyserically about it day after day. DH thought it was just having some baby blues. Then I found Mothering. Started reading about it and what happened to him. I found the circ video and threw up. DH and I talked about it and I told him I was never doing that to another child. He said "ok" and we left it at that. DH started doing his own research and we found the site about how circing hurts women (mostly related to sexual issues). And DH came to me crying. Saying how could we have done this...etc. After much research, DH decided to restore his foreskin. He has been doing that for around 6 months now. It is a long road but he is gaining a lot. We plan to tell DS how sorry we are. How we shouldn't have made that choice for him. How daddy is different because he has been restored. We will teach him about restoration and he can make the choice for himself.
Why do I feel so strongly about it? Because I put my son through that torture FOR NO REASON. And why did I share this with all of you? Because if I can save one baby boy from feeling that pain and save one mother from feeling the intense sadness that I feel, then it will be worth it. I can't sleep at night, I am depressed during the day. Because of THIS.
Deep in your mama heart, you know that something isn't right about strapping a newborn baby to a table and cutting off part of his genitals. Would you send your daughter to be circ'd? Would you remove her clitoral hood (also known as female genital mutilation) FOR NO REASON?
Now, we have pro-circ people on this world. I, obviously can't change any minds and can't change the state of their son's penis anymore than I can change Nathan's. Do I think that they are bad mothers? No. I think that they choose circing, thinking that is the best thing for their son because SOCIETY has told us that it is the right thing to do. I blame society, not mothers.
Now why is circing so wrong?
Genital integrity is a basic human right.
Over 80% of the world is intact.
This is an excellent movie (done by doctors opposing circumcision) about foreskin’s purpose and harm of circumcision.http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...o/prepuce.html
Even a perfectly performed circumcision does life-long harm.
1. It removes the most sensitive parts of the penis (Ridged band and often it also removes Frenulum).
2. The glans (penile head) is normally an internal organ protected by the moist mucosal tissue of the prepuce (foreskin). Without the foreskin, the glans is exposed to the outer environment (air, soap, clothing, sun, etc.). The glans dries out and develops several extra layers of skin (keratinization). Besides removing the densely nerve-laden foreskin, circumcision removes 50% of the penile shaft skin and associated nerve endings. The exposed glans then keratinizes, causing further loss of sensation. Imagine how different female sexual response would be if the clitoral hood (female foreskin) was removed. Exposure of the clitoris to the constant effects of the outer environment would approximate the effects of male circumcision.
3. The pain during circumcision is truly agonizing. Do you know how they circumcise newborns? First, because the foreskin is attached to the glans exactly like the fingernail is attached to the finger, they have to rip open those adhesions. They force a blunt probe under the foreskin and run it all around. Think about how that would feel under your fingernails and add on it that foreskin is the most sensitive part of the body. Then they slice open the foreskin and peel it away from the glans. Then they put a clamp on and crush the foreskin to halt the worst of the bleeding. Then they take a scalpel and slice the foreskin off. Oh, and by the way, did you know that over 85% of neonatal circumcisions in the US are still being preformed without any/adequate anesthesia? If one wants to put their baby through this nightmare, they at least must have guts to see how the procedure is being done. As you can see on this video, the doctor claims that he uses anesthesia… http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27632617&hl=en
4. The baby will feel that pain for weeks after the circumcision. Every time they pee it will burn. Every time you put them on their tummy or lay them against your chest to nurse, it will sting.
5. Because it's not your body, or your husband's body. It's your son's penis.You wouldn't drink or do drugs during your pregnancy because of the risks of causing birth defects.Did you know that being born without a foreskin is considered a birth defect?Why would you spend nine months eating healthy, avoiding drugs known to be harmful, etc. only to voluntarily offer up your child to elective cosmetic surgery so that his penis will now be like that of a baby born with a birth defect?
6. Because death can and HAS occured. The latest case was in Canada in May.
7. Circumcision puts the patient at risk of surgical mishap, adhesions, meatitis, meatal ulceration, infections, bleeding, and even death. The recent fast spread of MRSA in the US. is an example. Circumcision exposes the infant to risk of exposure to MRSA and other antibiotic resistent bacteria. While MRSA and other Antibiotic resistent bacteria can be spread by skin contact, they become ever more dangerous if they enter through a cut or open wound. Some recently circumcised boys have died from MRSA when their bodies did not respond to anti-biotic treatment. Others required treatment with the most recent experimental antibiotics. One boy who recently recovered now has an enlarged heart; that will cause lifetime consequences for him. The most recent statistics indicate that in 2007, more persons have died from MRSA in the US than from AIDS.
8. Circumcision started in the Puritan 1870s as a cure for masturbation (yes, you read it right! masturbation was considered to be evil and sinful and was blamed for all sort of illnesses including blindness, paralysis and mental retardation) http://www.cirp.org/library/history/ , http://www.noharmm.org/docswords.htm , http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/shorthis.htm
You will find pro-circ mamas everywhere. As I said, SOCIETY has taught us that this is what you do. They neglect to mention the risks of circ. Which is why I subjected my son to this heartache. Because I THOUGHT I was doing the best for him. I am no better than any pro-circing mom and I know that. The difference is, now I have learned what I have done. I can end the cycle in my family.
You all know that I love each and every one of you. Sometimes in life, we disagree, and that is ok. I know this was long. And you are probably highly offended. In fact, all the circing moms are probably highly offended. Please know that I don't want to hurt anyone. I am sharing because I want you all to know how I feel. I want you to know that this keeps me up at night. I am crying right now as I type this, thinking of what I have done. My hands are shaking.
---A special thanks to Yulia R. and all the ladies at Mothering for providing a lot of this information for me. I hope that you don't mind that I used some of your info.