Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Why do you use cloth diapers?"

I get this question A LOT!

I have talked about this before, but I found some new information that I wanted to share.

1. MALE INFERTILITY Disposable diapers could be the cause of the sharp rise in male infertility over the past 25 years. It is thought that disposable diapers heat up boys testicles to such a degree that it stop them from developing normal.

2. SODIUM POLYACRYLATE, which is linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome and can therefore no longer be used in tampons, is the super absorbent gel in disposable diapers. You can find the little "gel balls" on the skin of your baby's bottom. It is interesting to note that employees in factories manufacturing sodium polyacrylate suffer from female organ problems, slow healing wounds, fatigue and weight loss.

3. TBT (TRIBULYTIN) In May 2000 Greenpeace found TBT in Pampers® Baby Dry in Germany. TBT is one of the most toxic substances ever made. It harms the immune system and impairs the hormonal system. There is speculation that it could cause boys to become sterile.

4. DIOXIN Traces of the carcinogen Dioxin have been found in disposable diapers. Dioxin causes liver disease, immune system suppression and genetic damage. It is a byproduct of bleaching with chlorine gas and is banned in most countries. Unfortunately, the USA still allows it.

5. ASTHMA In 1998 a study showed that childhood respiratory problems, including asthma, might be linked to inhaling the mixture of chemicals emitted from disposable diapers.

6. UTI INFECTIONS IN BABY GIRLS also seem on the rise with an increased use of disposable diapers.

7. BABIES POORLY DEVELOPED OUTER SKIN LAYER ABSORBS ABOUT 48 CHEMICALS if you use disposable diapers & wipes and standard baby products. This can be greatly reduced by using cloth diapers and natural baby products.

Why do I use cloth diapers? It is better for my baby! (Cost savings and environmental factors aside).

4 comments:

Please Press Pause said...

We just started using prefolds with Tushies covers and some snappis and I'm so glad I convinced Pete to make the switch! Some people think I'm nuts, but between the health benefits and the $$$ saved - it's totally worth it. We'll definitely start earlier with Hypothetical #2.

Please Press Pause said...

A girl of the same heart you are:) Diaperswappers is where I've gotten most of our supplies! Do you know about thebabywearer.com ? That's where I get all baby carriers I am now addicted too!

Please Press Pause said...

That's so funny! Between TBW and the local babywearing group I found on there I have accumulated: A Hopp Nairobi SBP ringslin, a GypsyMama BBB, a Inka Storch, a Maya ringsling, a Moshi SSC, and a Babyhawk mei tei. Though I'm trying to sell the Moshi because I am super coveting a Ergo. I borrowed one form another mom in the neighborhood and I feel in love! I'm trying not to get addicted to all the CDing stuff though! What's your fav of the CDing world?

Natosha said...

Great post!!!