Sunday, May 15, 2011

Graduate!

I finally graduated from the Couch to 5K program!! My results have been amazing. I've lost 8lbs (combined with a more sensible diet and cross training) and gained so much endurance. I can run for 40+ minutes now. My miles are pretty slow (around 13minute miles) but I'm slowly getting better. I feel so proud. It was a long and hard 9 weeks. With good runs and bad runs, I pushed through.

Some tips for you beginners out there:

1. Get some good shoes. You will hear this from everybody and their brother, but it is so true. Go to a running store and get some advice from the pros.

2. Put a race on your calendar. Knowing that I have my race to look forward to, I want to push harder and train better!

3. If you have a rough day, your training is not ruined. Brush it off and get back out there next time!

4. Don't run in direct sunlight and 85 degree heat if you aren't used to it. It will end badly. Ask me how I know....

5. You can absolutely do this. Absolutely. I was one of you. I was a huffing and puffing after 1 minute of running in the beginning of this program. Seriously, I thought I was going to croak. But go slow and know that in the end, you will be able to do it! I can't explain the satisifaction of finishing. It feels amazing and I feel free. I'm no longer the inactive person that I once was. I plan my day around working out and running now. I'm fit and I feel it.

So, what is next for me? Well, I have my first race next Saturday! I'm nervous and excited and happy. After that, I'm going to start training for a half-marathon. Insane? Probably so. But I remember in the beginning of the Couch to 5K, I was thinking that 3.1 miles seemed crazy and now? Now it is not so bad. So maybe I really can do more. Along the way, I will have more 5K races and maybe some 10Ks. The sky is the limit for me at this point.

I'm a RUNNER.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Keep it up, I think your 5k will be a blast!

Amy said...

you've inspired me!
getting running shoes tomorrow.
xx Amy

One Day... said...

Congratulations!! :)

I'm glad you blogged about your experience, it's helping me in mine. :)

Mandy said...

So proud of you!

Nikki said...

Congrats!!! I LOVE to run!! I started out with a 5K goal and ended up pregnant with twins as I was training. I ran up until 21 wks in their pregnancy and then backed it down to a walk and some running mixed in. They're 6 months old now and I'm back at it hard and heavy. I love the immense gratification and high that comes after it's done. And yes....good days and bad days. But so worth it all in the end. Agreed on the 85 degree day in the sun! I don't recommend running against 27 mph wind if you're a beginner either! Rough going at first. Now I just figure it offers some pretty good resistance training. :) Running is freedom! I'm hooked for life.