Friday, May 6, 2011

ECHO for toddlers

Kai had his ECHO today. All in all, it was a smooth experience.

The heart center was in the hospital, so we had to park in a parking garage which didn't accept credit cards (more on this later). We hand in the paperwork that had been mailed to us and Kai and I waited in the lobby. I marveled at how easy it was to only look after one kid for a change (Gavin stayed with Brandon and Nathan went to preschool).

We were called back very quickly. The ECHO room had a giant mural of the Earth painted on one wall (very cool). The technician was so nice and chatted about how cute Kai was (but of course!). He turned on Elmo's world for Kai although he wasn't very interested in it. He allowed me to sit on the table with Kai who was crying at this point. I was nervous that we wouldn't be able to get a good reading because he was so upset. Then I had the stroke of genius to offer to nurse him. Well that did it. He sat on my lap and was quietly nursing the whole time. Granted it was a little strange to have the tech's hand near my boob as he was putting the ultrasound probe over Kai's chest. But it was ok, this guy didn't even bat an eyelash.

Because I was able to get Kai to sit so perfectly, the tech remarked how he had never gotten "such good shots" from a one year old before! The test was over in about 15 minutes. We don't get the results until Monday, but the tech told me that he didn't see anything alarming that he would be notifying the doctor about.

So we pack up and I ask where the nearest ATM was so that I could get money for the parking garage. Turns out that the ATM in the hospital was broken. So I had to pay our parking charge in pennies that I found in the bottom of my purse. It was so funny. The guy in the booth was cracking up.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

That was genius to nurse him! I swear the boob has magic powers! Broken ATM just adds to the adventure!