Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kai had surgery today

And he did awesome! Everything went well today.

For those who just stumbled by searching for "tubes in ears", I'll break it down.

We woke up at the crack of dawn (actually pre-crack) and drove an hour to the surgery center. After signing in with the receptionist, Kai charmed everyone in the waiting room with his cute little walk. He trotted right up to the nurse when she came out to get us! They took us in the pre-op area to ask some questions and to get Kai's weight and vitals. We met with Dr. Ear and the anesthesiologist (Dr. Delicious). :) Kai played in the pre-op area with a glove and the stuff in our diaper bag. About 20 minutes later, the OR nurse came out to get Kai. I held on to him and cried a little bit and then watched him go with the nurse. We went out to the consult room and waited 15 minutes (seriously, 15 minutes). Dr. Ear came out and told us everything went great, gave us some drops for his ear, and said "See you in 6 weeks." We went back to the post-op area and I heard my baby crying. The post-op nurse was holding Kai as he was coming out of anesthesia. He was cranky. Very, very cranky. He didn't even want to nurse. I was sad about that, but they assured us that it was normal. After 10 minutes in the recovery area (seriously, 10 minutes) we packed up our cranky Kai-bear and headed home. Kai was upset for most of the ride home, but fell asleep when we were pulling off the interstate (go figure).

When we got home, Kai sat on my lap and ate pancakes, nursed for 20 minutes, and then fell asleep for an hour. He is now happily playing with his toys like nothing ever happened. I am so hoping that he is out of pain now and can hear. The surgery was the right thing to do.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so happy he did so well!! What a quick surgery it was and I'm sure you are all feeling so much better that it is behind you. Hugs to all of you!

Amanda & Joel said...

So glad it was easy and quick! I bet those were 15 tough minutes though, not able to be with him. Hope this will take care of his ear problems for good!

EssKress said...

That is awesome. I'm glad to hear it went well. I cracked up a little bit when reading "Dr. Delicious." Ha!!

adelev said...

Sounds like the surgery went perfectly! That's great news!