Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever made for another person?

And was it worth it?

This question was a prompt on my NaBloPoMo website. And I had an answer immediately and that kinda scared me a little bit. So I thought I would write about it today.

My answer was: I sacrificed my career and my career path for my kids.

There it is. The harsh truth. It kinda reads a little self-righteous and entitled, doesn't it? Wasn't it my choice to have children in the first place? Yes. Did we or did we not spend thousands of dollars in fertility treatments to have children? We did. So really, if our children were wanted THAT badly, can I really call it a sacrifice?

I didn't know the answer to that last question. Then I looked up the definition of sacrifice.

Sacrifice: Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of something considered to have a greater value or claim.

And it fits. My career was something that I highly valued. I worked through college and am still paying off student loans (and will until I'm dead). BUT. My children have a greater value. So the definition does fit.

So there it is. My answer to that prompt. Is it the fate of every mother? Whether she is a stay-at-home mother or not? I think so.

The second question "Was it worth it?" Yes. Yes it was and it continues to be.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love to hear you talk about this sacrifice. I don't feel nearly as peace with the way this sacrifice is being lived out in my life right now, but I am working on that. You handle motherhood - its ups and downs - with such grace.