Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pain of unspeakable nature

I've determined that I have pretty much gotten the raw end of the deal in regards to nursing these babies. I think the universe is punishing me for having such an easy time of things with Nathan.

Brandon and I went out for Halloween this past weekend. I was gone for around 6 hours. Upon returning home, I nursed the babies at 3am. And it was like someone stuck shards of glass in my right nipple. I cried all the way through that feeding.

After getting up on Sunday, I tried to do a little research. I thought that I might have the beginnings of mastitis again. But I didn't have the flu-like symptoms that usually accompany mastitis. Then I found what looked like a blister and thought it was a milk bleb.

Now, the blister looking thing is gone and yet I feel as if I may die every time I have a nursing session. I have no idea what is wrong at this point. I cry through every feeding and have started to take heavy painkillers (left over from my mastitis diagnosis). I have to take painkillers every 4 hours to just barely make it through.

So I'm giving it a couple of days. If it still hasn't gotten better, I'm going to have to see a lactation consultant or something. I would go to my doctor, but when it comes to breastfeeding, I am mostly teaching him about it.

This has really put a hold on my running for the Couch to 5K because I can't even let my boob rub up against my T-shirt. :(

I'm frustrated and in pain.

Probably more information that ya'll needed about my boobs, but hey, it's my blog.

5 comments:

adelev said...

I'm so sorry you are having so much pain! That's awful. I wish I could help, but I don't have any ideas either. If I come across something that might be helpful I will definitely let you know. In the meantime I'm thinking of you and hope things get better soon!

Adele

AmyB said...

I don't think you should wait. I think you should see someone now. that sounds terrible.

adelev said...

Sounds like you might have thrush. Sometimes there are blisters, but sometimes the only symptom is severe pain. From what I've read, the pain is described exactly the way you are describing it right up to "like a shard of glass in my breast". Also, if you took antibiotics for the mastitis (or for any reason) that can make it more likely for you to get thrush, which is basically a kind of yeast infection. Your doctor can prescribe medications and in the meantime I've seen recommendations about rinsing your breasts after each feeding and washing your bras in really hot water. Also, if you prefer natural treatments, things you would do to get your system back in balance with any yeast infection such as eating yogurt or garlic might be helpful. I hope you feel better soon!

Adele

Mamakims said...

Thrush is my guess as well. I had thrush when my second was a baby and it was painful. Like someone stabbed me with an ice pick painful.
You can buy canesten (I think it's actually for athlete's foot) or use gentian violet but it sounds like it may be deeper so I'd go see a doctor for a prescription.

April said...

Hugs girl, I hope your gals feel better soon! :)