Sunday, October 17, 2010

Couch to 5K

So as I promised myself, after the 30 (er...60) day shred, I would begin the Couch to 5K program.

Yesterday was my first day and holy cow, I am sore today! I'm using an app for the iPhone. It is awesome in that it allows you to play your own music and it cuts into the music at the appropriate times telling you when to walk and when to run. It is very motivating and easy to use.

So for week 1, it has me running every other day. I run for 1 minute and then walk for 1.5 minutes. That interval repeats itself 8 times. It SOUNDS really easy, but it wasn't. I've never been much of a runner. In fact, in high school, I would do every possible thing I could to get out of running in gym class. It was just NOT my thing. So I'm skeptical that I can actually do this, but willing to give it 100% effort.

The program lasts for 9 weeks. So hopefully I get to the point where I can run a 5K without feeling like I am going to die! My first race is December 24th (what was I thinking with Christmas Eve?!). I'm really excited about it though!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Way to go!! I did C25K... unfortunately twice, because both times I lost momentum around week 6 (either got sick and missed a few days, or vacation, then never got back on track! ugh!) I really need to try again. It's a great program and totally do-able! The first few days are the hardest though. But such satisfaction after completing each week!
If you are using the standard podcast (the techno-ish one) and get bored with it, there are other ones people have made too if you search! Good luck!

Sophie {Red Dust Love} said...

Found your blog va Life With Soul, and so glad I did! Would you mind sharing the name of the iphone app??? I have been on the couch exercise program for quite some time and would like to progress it to the couch to 1km to start off with!!! Thanks, Sophie x

Mandie said...

Thanks Amanda!!

Sophie- The app is called "Get Running (Couch to 5K)" Good luck and thanks for visiting my blog!

EssKress said...

Good for you!!! Remember that 90% of running is mental. It may suck while you're doing it, but you'll feel so good once you complete it! Best of luck!