Friday, July 9, 2010

Letter to your 18 year old self...

A dear friend of mine posted this on her blog about writing a letter to her 20 year old self. I thought it was such a good idea that I decided to write one too! Only, I chose to write to my 18 year old self because 20 was only 6 years ago for me. I felt that this would put a nice perspective on my life as it is now.

(I will admit that this was harder than I thought.)

So where was I at 18? Well on my 18th birthday I was two weeks away from packing up my entire life and moving to college. It was such a nervous, exciting time in my life and I was so scared! I was in search of one thing really. Freedom! :)

Dear Mandie,

Today you are 18 years old! High school flew by didn't it? Looking back on it now, you are probably starting to realize that you made some mistakes. That's ok, really. Those mistakes will shape you into the person that you are going to become.

So, some tips for the future.

1. Don't worry about college! It is going to be the most amazing ride of your life! You will love nearly every second of the college experience and you did choose the right school.

2. Be careful about your passions. I know that you have a strong passion for biology and I know that you really want to be a physician. It will be the hardest thing you have done but it is ok to let that dream go. You will soon realize that being a physician isn't all that it is cracked up to be and you will want something else. It's ok to say goodbye to that. You aren't a failure. Your passions now will not be your passions in the future.

3. Try not to stress about love. I know that you are still recovering from having your heart shattered into a million pieces in high school. I know you are trying to mask your pain and that's ok. But honestly, that wasn't love. Love is coming for you, I promise. He is going to be everything that you have ever wanted but didn't know how to put into words. He isn't going to be what you expect and you will think that the timing is all wrong, but it isn't. It is so right.

4. You are going to make true and long lasting friendships. I know that it is so hard for you to relate to people on a friendship level. You haven't had the best of luck in the past. Mostly because you moved around a lot and were never able to form lasting bonds. And also because in high school you were kind of selfish (again, I told you that it was ok to have those mistakes!). These friends you will meet and they will show you how to live. Love them will all your heart because some day you will have to part ways and it will be so hard!

5. Spend lots of time with Grandma. She won't be around forever and you will miss her terribly when she is gone.

6. Love your body. It will do amazing things in the future (I won't tell you because I want you to be surprised)!

7. Take a religion class in college. In your late twenties (gasp) you still have problems relating to all things religion and you still really aren't sure what you believe.

So there you have it. I won't tell you too much because I want you to end up right where you are now. Life for you at 26 (almost 27) is really hard but worth it. You are happy now, I promise.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Probably good you didn't take that religion class, it might have confused you more! Just open your heart to God and pray. Say "Loving Father in Heaven if you're there show me!" My personal favourite prayer in the world is the Rosary.

I found your site through your twin birth story. What a great one. We just had twin girls at home. You've inspired me to write mine out too. I will get to it at some point.

God bless you,
Adele