Saturday, April 17, 2010

On being Mandie...

I haven't been Mandie in a really long time. It is hard to balance one's self and motherhood at the same time. Over these past three years, I have really transitioned into becoming Mama and lost sight of myself in the process. I think that this happens to all mothers, especially mothers of more than one child. Mothers of multiples have an even harder time trying to balance to two lives. Yesterday, for example, I got exactly 20 minutes of time where I didn't have a baby or two on me. That time was spent putting laundry in the washer and getting lunch together.

All this lack of time has really caused me to wonder whether or not there are more children in our future. I miss being able to be a wife to my husband. I miss being able to paint my toenails, take a bath, read a book in peace, etc. Not that I don't love being a mother, but sometimes you just gotta be you, ya know?

So we are really searching our hearts to decide if we want more children. I'll admit that I would LOVE to have a daughter someday, but can I possibly be an effective and nuturing mother to four children? Perhaps I should just focus on the three sons that I have.

Either way, we are done for quite some time. I need some space to take care of my poor body and spirit. :) And working on a career would be nice too.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I know how you feel. Three is so overwhelming sometimes. I do not see more in my future.

Mamakims said...

I could have written this word for word myself (well, minus the momma to multiples part). Finding balance is my biggest struggle and one I'm really working hard at to fix!

Christie said...

Hey Mandie, I totally hear you and know how you feel. I wanted a boy so badly but I am so busy all the time with the twins and Bree and I am starting to think that no, maybe we are done. I will have to give that sippy cup a try also:)