Friday, February 26, 2010

Letters to my sons...February 12th

Dear Nathan,

Today you are 2 years and 9 months old. My last letter was written at 2 and a half years. So much has changed in the last three months. It is hard to know where to start.

Perhaps the biggest change has been the addition of two new members of our family. Gavin and Kai were born one month ago today. And your poor world has been turned upside-down. It has been a really hard adjustment for you. You went from having Mama's attention 100% of the time to having to share and be patient. Patience is not one of your strengths. :) This has led to a lot more tantrums and some regression. You have stopped sleeping in your own bed. You want to be close to Mama and Daddy. So right now, we have 5 people in our king size bed. At least we are all together! Thankfully you haven't regressed on the potty! You are completely potty trained now. You are even in underwear at night! We are so proud of you!

In other news, your speech has come a long way. You are saying all sorts of words and phrases. You still have speech therapy twice a week and you do such a great job. In April, we will be meeting with the pre-school!! We were debating on whether or not to send you to pre-school in September. But your speech therapists think it will be good for you and we agree. You will thrive being around other kids and the preschool is right down the street so we can walk there!

And so, big brother, the next letter will be written when you are 3!! I know right now is a hard time for you with the babies around, but I want you to know that I will always love you. You are still my heart and soul and the center of my world.

Love,

Mama

-----------------------------------

Dear Gavin,

Hello, sweet boy! This will be the first letter in a long line of many. For the next two years of your life, I will be writing to you about your life monthly and trying to convey the love that your father and I have for you.

Today you are one month old! You weigh approximately 9.5 lbs. You are Mama's sweet, calm, and cuddly boy. You are just now starting to smile at us! Your smile can light up the whole room. You smile with your whole face and it is such a beautiful sight to see. Your personality is so laid-back. You are just fine hanging out with Mama and looking around. You are starting to track things with your eyes. You only cry when you are very tired or very hungry! And speaking of hungry, you really love to nurse! Your eyes light up and roll back. Your tiny body instantly relaxes and you gaze into Mama's eyes. It is such a special time for me. I try to nurse you and your brother at different times so that I have special alone time with each of you. You are nursing about every 2 hours now. Although sometimes you can only go one hour! You are starting to coo at us! It is the cutest sound in the whole world. You aren't really sleeping very well yet. You like to be sleeping next to someone so you often cuddle with Daddy at night.

So little one, Mama loves you so much. I know that you don't get me all to yourself very often, but just know that you are so special to me. You are an amazing little person and I can't wait to get to know you.

Love,

Mama

--------------------------

Dear Kai,

Hello, angel! This will be the first in a very long line of letters. For the first two years of your life, I will be writing to you monthly. I record things about your daily life, like milestones and schedules. I also will try to put into words just how much you mean to Daddy and I.

My sweet Kai-bear is 1 month old! You weigh around 9.5lbs. Mama's little piglet! You have gained 2.5lbs in a month! You love nursing. You would spend your entire day nursing if Mama let you. You are a big comfort nurser. You only fall asleep if Mama is nursing you! So no wonder you have gained so much! You have a very active personality. You don't like to be put down and you aren't really much of a cuddler. You prefer to be facing outward when we hold you. You tend to get cranky very quickly and don't have much patience yet. Just like Mama! You always have a puzzled look on your face as if you are trying to figure this world out. I have a feeling your personality will relax some when you can move around on your own. You don't like to be in the same place for too long. You aren't really sleeping very well yet. You have to be sleeping on Mama to get good rest. So you and I often cuddle at night. You don't like to share Mama with your brother! You are starting to smile and coo. Your smile is very sweet. It is more of a sly grin and it melts my heart.

So baby boy, one month has passed since your birth. I am so glad that I had you at home. I am so glad that you came to us. I am thankful to have you in my life. I love you so much baby!

Love,

Mama

No comments: