Friday, November 6, 2009

My crazy night last night....

Geez, what a night we had last night.

It all started around 3pm or so. I noticed some sporadic contractions. They weren't very regular but some were painful. Around 4:30 or so, the contractions went to every 5 minutes and some were being felt quite low in my uterus. I called my midwife who instructed me to have a large glass of water and take a warm bath.

The water and bath helped some, but after I got out of the tub, they picked back up to every 5 minutes. I called the midwife back and she said to head to the hospital. I really, really did NOT want to do this. Most of you know of my hospital phobia issues related to my last birth. So I stalled around for awhile hoping they would go away. They didn't, so I called my mom to have her come sit with Nathan, and Brandon and I headed out to the hospital.

Now, I was scared just to walk into the hospital because, let's face it, having twins and a homebirth isn't looked at too fondly these days. My nerves were out of control which I am sure was making the contractions worse.

So, we went up to OB triage and surprisingly, they were very nice! I had the sweetest nurse who had been doing this for 30+ years who didn't even bat an eye when we told her we were planning a homebirth. She did say "Well I'm glad you came in though. Better to get these things checked out and out of the way now." She was just really nice. I was able to tell her a little bit about my hospital phobia and she went out of her way to make sure that I was comfortable and taken care of. She said "Well, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'll be right here the whole time." Needless to say she really made the experience very smooth and I am grateful to her.

So they put me on the monitor and it turns out I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. The nurse wasn't too pleased with the way things were looking and I wasn't either. However, the good thing was that the contractions that the monitor was picking up weren't painful to me (just Braxton Hicks). So the resident came in and did an exam (OUCH) and took some swabs to send off for the fetal fibronectin test (a test that, if negative, can almost guarantee that you won't be going into labor within the next two weeks). She did say that I was not dilating at all although my cervix was rather soft. She wanted to keep me on the monitors for the next hour to see if the contractions would stop. She also wanted to make sure that they babies' heart rates were doing ok and reactive (they were perfect the whole time!).

So after an hour, the contractions finally started spreading out and I would go 15 minutes without having one! The nurse was really pleased with this. The resident came back in and told me that the fetal fibronectin test was negative (YAY!) and that my cultures and urine tests came back great. She said we were free to go and to follow up with my midwife. Basically I just have an irritable uterus right now and am now on modified bed rest at home.

I tell you though, this experience made me realize how much I do not want to go back to the hospital. I am just hoping that my uterus cooperates and I get to have these babies at home! :)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh I can imagine how upset you must have been driving to the hospital... So glad you had a good nurse and everything checked out ok. Stay put babies! Just a little bit longer!

Heather said...

So glad everything turned out okay - and so thankful you had a great nurse who was so understanding!

adelev said...

That must have been really hard. I'm so glad everything turned out OK in the end.

CNH said...

I ended up on 'house arrest' from 33-36 weeks because of an irritable uterus. Carried them to 39 weeks! Take it as easy as you can Mama.

Andrea said...

Oh my! I'm so happy to hear that all was well and that the babies are doing well, too. Tell your uterus to STOP being irritated!!! :) I'm glad you had a nice nurse that made the experience a little better. Take care and try to get some rest!