Monday, September 21, 2009

Who to have at the birth

I am trying to visualize who will be here when these babies are born. I like to have a set picture in my mind of the faces I will see in the room.

-Obviously Brandon will be here. :) He is a great man to have on hand to do the practical things around the house and to see that my needs are being met.
-2 midwives and their assistant.
-My mom will probably be here for Nathan support. He will need someone here to make sure that his needs are taken care of. Also to make sure to take him out if things get too intense for him. And in case of transfer, I will need someone to stay here.

However, I am thinking that I am going to need another person here for support for me. I just want someone who has gone through this before (homebirth) and who is supportive of homebirth in general. I don't think that I want an actual doula there (mainly because I just don't think that I have that in the budget, see the previous post about stuff to buy). I also want someone who has an eye for photography so that the labor and births can be captured. The logical choice would be a close friend. However, I just don't that many women in my life who fit all those things. I have a couple of people that I know through my homebirth support group, but would that be weird to ask them? "Hey, I know we don't really talk all that much, but can you be here when I give birth?"

5 comments:

April said...

Mandie, I know we don't see eye to eye on alot but I just wanted to say if we close friends I'd be honored to experiance a homebirth, photograph and support you! I truely wish our friendship grew more and we lived closer to each other! I read you blog regularly so see how you and those precious babies are doing! Congrats on the boys. You know my story so without saying I'm so happy to see you at 23wks.......thats wonderful! I wish you all the best and hope to see SEVERAL more weeks of preggo updates on here! I hope you find another special person to experiance your birth with you. Hey and I'd ask one of the girls from your group, I'm sure they'd be honored even if you all don't know one another real well yet.......gotta start somewhere! :)

April!

Andrea said...

ME!!! I want to be there!!! :D Yet one more time when I wished I lived closer. :( I completely agree that you should have someone else there just for YOU. We didn't get any pictures of the during labor part because dh was busy and there wasn't anyone else around who was supportive of the way I was giving birth. I really hope you find someone that you feel completely comfortable with.

Amanda said...

I'm sure it will all work out. With 2 midwives and an assistant, I'm sure you will have no shortage of support :) B was the only one at our birth but she was so calm & peaceful. Just her presence was encouraging to me.

I'd love to take photos at a birth. I'd offer to do it in a heartbeat for you, the only problem of course is that I don't have anyone to leave Nathan with on short notice.

I'm so excited for you though. I hope you find just the right people to support you at your birth. I know you are in good hands :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

I hope you have the people at your birth to make it a wonderful experience for you.

Erin said...

Mandie- I would be glad to do it, although I'd have to bring Luke and I'm by no means a professional photographer. But I'd be honored to help in any way I can!