Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A proud mama moment

So this might not be a big deal to some, but today was a really good day in our house.

As most of you know, Nathan has been diagnosed with speech delay and sensory processing disorder. We are working with speech therapists twice a week to increase his vocabulary and understanding of language.

The thing about therapy is that it is often frustrating for him and I. He really tries so hard and it makes me sad to see him struggle with words and those emotions. The process of therapy is also very slow. Changes from week to week are rare, but the big picture changes over months of time is plainly seen.

This week however, Nathan really made me proud. The therapist held 5 crayons in her hand. She asked Nathan to pick the green crayon. I was thinking in my head, "We aren't even working on colors yet. He is not going to know this." I mean, I work on colors with him all the time, but the therapists have not began working on colors yet. Anyway, my amazing son picked the green crayon and yelled "GREEN!" I about cried right there. He IS making progress! He IS listening to me babble on all day about the green grass, the green shirt, the green cup, etc.

It made me feel really good.

8 comments:

adelev said...

Wonderful story. Made me smile. Good for Nathan! :-)

Twisted Cinderella said...

Good for him!!!

Brooke said...

Awesome!!!! That's really good!

Amanda said...

That's awesome!! Once his speech takes off you will probably be amazed at how much he knows :)

Jessica said...

omg thats amazing! Congrats little man!

Holly Burkhardt said...

thats awesome..
WAY TO GO NATHAN!!

Please Press Pause said...

what an affirming moment for you, and for Nathan - all that hard work is paying off!

Mollie said...

I love days like this!