Tuesday, August 4, 2009

17 weeks

Updated to add picture: On my birthday at 17 weeks 4 days.
Moving right along...

How I am feeling: Miserable. I haven't felt this much pain in a very long time. At night, I am unable to sleep. As I have mentioned here many times, I have had insomnia for years, but this is more physical. The thing is I can't lie on my back (I am usually a back sleeper) because of the babies. So I have been trying to lie on my side. However, within one or two minutes (seriously it is that short) both of my arms and both of my legs go completely numb and tingle. It doesn't matter which side I am lying on, it happens to both arms and both legs. I have tried propping with pillows, tried moving to a different mattress (our guest room), and nothing is helping. Because of the numbness (it is painful) it has been taking me hours to fall asleep. Finally I just pass out from sheer exhaustion. Basically I am really worried about this because the numbness can't be a good thing. Last night was the worst. Even just reclining in our chair caused almost total body numbness and it kept moving up along the side of my face and lips. Awful. I emailed my midwife about it and she is thinking that I may have a pinched nerve. Even just sitting here right now, my shoulders are numb and tingling. Anyway, my midwife is speaking to her chiropractor on my behalf. I am willing to do just about anything to make this pain stop.

What the babies are up to: Each baby is now covered in a downy layer of lanugo. The skin is still very thin, but brown fat is slowly being deposited. Other than that, they are just growing and making my belly expand by the day.

7 comments:

adelev said...

I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time. *hugs*

I think the chiropractor is a good suggestion. There are chiropractors who specialize in pregnancy. Most likely the one your midwife is going to recommend is one of these. I have a friend who saw a chiropractor regularly all through her pregnancy and found it very helpful.

You could also try getting a waffle-style pad to put on top of your mattress cover under your sheet. I used one while I was preganant and it helped some.

I hope you feel better soon. I will be thinking of you.

Amanda said...

oh mandie i'm so sorry :( i hope you can get some relief (& good sleep) soon..

Jessica said...

bleh I hated that when I was preggo! Hope you can get some sleep soon!

Intertwined said...

Oh gosh! HOW could I have forgotten about the numbness??? I think I might have blocked it out. By the end, my hands were almost completely numb all the time. Sorry, not to scare you! Just, er, be prepared. The chiro was my FRIEND!!!!

Natosha said...

You look incredible. I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is going.

adelev said...

You look amazingly happy in the picture. :-)

Forever Thankful said...

You look GORGEOUS!! What a beautiful belly you have - and amazing looks to go with it!