Tuesday, July 7, 2009

13 weeks


Wow, I am already in the last week of my first trimester. I can't believe how fast it is going. I wish time would slow down a little bit. We have so much to do.

How I have been feeling: I have good days and bad days. Some days I am so excited to have the babies and then some days I am wanting it to take as long as possible. I have noticed over the past couple weeks though that my worry regarding pre-term labor has increased. I have this very intense fear of having the babies too early. NICU time scares me. Mostly because of what they do to the babies while you aren't there. I am really hoping that we don't have to go through that. As I a mentioned previously, I am meeting with a couple OBs. My first meeting is on Thursday. I am dreading it, but hoping for the best. I know that I will never feel comfortable in that environment, so my goal is to not be terrified of this person. Seems like a reasonable goal, right? In other news, my nausea isn't so bad any more. I feel pretty good in that respect. I still haven't gained any weight, so I am working on packing on the protein. I drink a protein smoothie every night, so hopefully that will help. My congestion is just ridiculous. I feel like I have had a cold for three months! Oh, and on a good day last week, I bought the babies their first outfit! It is really cute. I can't wait to find out what we are having! And speaking of outfits, man stuff is expensive. I have had to pick up some hours at the birth center to try to pay for things that they need, like new carseats, diapers, clothes, etc.

What the babies are up to: They are each 2-3 inches long and weigh about one ounce. They are busy little babies in there! Moving all around and flexing their new joints and muscles. I can sometimes feel the one on the right when he or she moves. I have to be laying a certain way and be very still. I haven't felt any movement on the left yet.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

look at you happy momma!!! You look wonderful!!!

adelev said...

You are looking great! I love that pink shirt you are wearing. I'm glad you are feeling better, at least some days.

Good luck with the OB. I think you will need some luck to find an OB willing to be back-up and even consider the possibility of having twins with a midwife, but maybe your area of the country is different from where I am now (Iowa) and where I gave birth (Colorado). I hope so!

Mandie said...

Adele- Oh I don't really plan on using this doctor as a backup for an emergency during our homebirth.

I just plan on seeing her just in case I go into labor preterm.

After 37 weeks, I will stop seeing her.

If an emergency were to arise during our homebirth, I would just go to the nearest hospital (these OBs that I am interviewing with are in the big city which is 40 miles away and it wouldn't make sense to drive that distance in a emergent situation).

Jennifer Wempe said...

You look absolutely radiant! Congratulations!

Erin said...

Good luck, I hope this OB is supportive of your choices!

adelev said...

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I hope you find someone you like. If you don't mind my asking, are you going to tell the OB you plan to stop seeing her after 37 weeks? I am assuming not, which is the part I did not understand. When I was pregnant I told the OB who had been my GYN before I got pregnant that I wanted to give birth with a midwife unless there were complications, and she kicked me out of her practice and said she would not even be my GYN anymore!

Mandie said...

Adele- No, I do not plan on telling the OB that I will be leaving her care at 37 weeks. I have the right to transfer care at any time and I don't think that they need an explanation.

That is awful about your GYN! Sometimes it makes me so angry to hear that! :(

adelev said...

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good for you! Thanks for explaining. I hope your interviews go well and you find someone who is exactly what you need.