Monday, February 16, 2009

Crossroads

I am at a point in my life where I have reached a crossroads in my career path. I have been thinking a lot about going back to school to get my Masters degree and I have recently found a program that allows me to do that online (except clinical hours, those are completed throughout the community). Anyway, I have reached this point where I am just not sure what I want to do with my future.

I have two options that I am looking into.

1.) Become a Women's Heath Nurse Practitioner. This would allow me to work in a fertility clinic and reach out to so many who are going through infertility. I have been wanting to do this since we went through our IVF cycle and getting this degree would make it that much easier for me.

Pros:
-doing something that I am passionate about
-estimated salary is amazing
-many more job opportunities than option number 2
-the hours are perfect, work during the day, not on call, etc.

Cons:
-Would be under the supervision of physicians
-would have to move to a city which has a practice large enough to hire WHNPs, therefore moving away from our families


2.) Become a Certified Nurse Midwife. This is the main reason I went to nursing school in the first place. I have wanted to do this as long as a can remember. I would want to base my practice from home instead of a hospital or birth center.

Pros:
-something that I have always wanted to do
-love to help mothers during their pregnancies, labor, birth, and postpartum
-would only work with clients who valued homebirth therefore had the general ideals
-autonomy

Cons:
-liability and insurance. This is a big one. Being solely responsible is not something I take lightly
-less job opportunities because homebirth CNMs are hard to come by
-less money
-would most likely have to move and therefore moving away from our family
-the hours of a CNM are crazy. They are on call 24/7 and it is very draining on one's personal life.


I really can't decide. I have until April 24th to make up my mind and apply if I want to start in this summer. The beauty of online schooling is that I work at my own pace from home for the first year. That would allow me to be home with Nathan and a new baby (hopefully) for a year. Then I would continue my course work at home and attend clinicals for about 20 hours a week.

Lots to think about.

1 comment:

April said...

Good luck with your decision. Both options seem perfect for you and your passion. I'd want you to be my nurse of any kind anyday! :)